Process Mapping Logo

Process Mapping - Forums

Sharing 19 years of knowledge and experience

 
Metastorm BPM forums
Sign up Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
flbpmdev

Member
Registered:
Posts: 42
Reply with quote  #1 

I have a drop down that is not working correctly.   It shows on the form as if it were disabled.  I attached a snapshot that shows the problem drop down and the one under it that is working fine.

I have narrowed the problem down to being related to the variable that is assigned to it.  If I assign a variable with a different name, it is displayed normally.  However, I have gone as far as deleting the drop down form the form, deleting the custom variable, saving and publishing, and even going in to the DB and deleting the old column that went with the variable from the procedure table.  I then re-create everything from scratch, but if I use the same variable name as what was originally used, it appears incorrectly again. 

I've spent a lot of time trying to figure out what is causing this problem and how to get around it.  I suppose I could just use a completely different variable name and that would solve the problem, but I'm sure to come up against this same thing in the future so I would like to know how to fix it without having to create a new variable every time.

Thanks for helping me.




Attached Images
gif dd.gif (2.36 KB, 99 views)

0
apatel

Member
Registered:
Posts: 36
Reply with quote  #2 

Looks like the field is set as read only


__________________
-AP
0
flbpmdev

Member
Registered:
Posts: 42
Reply with quote  #3 

Yes, I know it looks like it is set to read only, but it is set to optional.  Even when I set it to Required, it will show up the same way, except with a red outline.

0
apatel

Member
Registered:
Posts: 36
Reply with quote  #4 
If you have checked in both places and ensured it is not set to read only, The only other suggestion I can come up with aside from creating a new variable is to try deleting and republish the procedure.
Perhaps, someone else can come up with a better solution.

__________________
-AP
0
Jerome

Avatar / Picture

Guru
Registered:
Posts: 5,507
Reply with quote  #5 
What is the offending variable name, then?

__________________
Post an example, and we will have a much better idea what the problem is. In about 90% of posts, the problem is one of communication. Examples bridge that gap.
0
flbpmdev

Member
Registered:
Posts: 42
Reply with quote  #6 
The variable name that causes the problem is txtSeptSubCat  I just took over the maintenance on this in October and am new to Metastorm.  I have no idea what the "Sept" in the name was supposed to indicate by the original developers.  I used the name txtSubCategory (keeping the "txt" prefix to conform with the existing variable naming scheme) for the new variable and the drop down immediately started to display correctly.

After I created the new variable and had it working, I tried to use the old variable name again and got the same bad display result.  It is so weird. A collegue wondered if even though I deleted the custom variable and the corresponding column from the procedure table, maybe there is some other reference that needs to be deleted.  However, I could not find anything when I poked around the various eworks tables.

Anyway, I have it working with the new variable name and the new name makes more sense too.  However, I just know I am going to run up against a problem like this again.  I took the BPM Foundations class last month and there was a lab at the end of it in which we created a form.  There were a few of us in the class (me included) that got this same kind of behavior on text fields and drop downs when we created our form.  The instructor couldn't explain why it was happening.  They look like they are read only, but the form defined for the stage as well as the default usage of the field is not read-only.  As I recall, I had to delete the offending objects and re-add them to the form, but I didn't have to use a different variable name.





0
Jerome

Avatar / Picture

Guru
Registered:
Posts: 5,507
Reply with quote  #7 
It has nothing to do with the variable name, and everything to do with how the field is created. I have been discovering what is causing this recently. Copy a field with the default set to Required from one form and paste it to another form. Then set the field to calculated. Use the form, and you will see this calculated field is required.

It is all about the Designer failing to process the usahe of the fields properly when publishing. This is the first time I have been able to prove it and I am working on a set of steps to definitely reproduce it.

This has been broken in the Designer several times in v6, but in v7 it seems to be completelely broken. The fact that chaning default usage never changes the usage on Actions proves this, although Metastorm did not accept this as a bug last time it was reported by us.


__________________
Post an example, and we will have a much better idea what the problem is. In about 90% of posts, the problem is one of communication. Examples bridge that gap.
0
Jerome

Avatar / Picture

Guru
Registered:
Posts: 5,507
Reply with quote  #8 
BTW, this causes the common problem that adding calculated fields makes them editable in actions.

__________________
Post an example, and we will have a much better idea what the problem is. In about 90% of posts, the problem is one of communication. Examples bridge that gap.
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:


Create your own forum with Website Toolbox!