Process Mapping Logo

Process Mapping - Forums

Sharing 19 years of knowledge and experience

 
Metastorm BPM forums
Sign up Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
paulsiu

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 57
Reply with quote  #1 

Recently, we upgraded our metastorm setup to SR3. The box uses a BIG IP F5 to 3 different web front ends over SSL. Much to our surprise, the to-do list does not update when we go to the load balanced URL, but works just fine when we go to the individual boxes. Basically, the to-do list is the same no matter which folder we pick but only through the load balanced URL. When we go to the individual front ends, they all work fine.

We have restarted the engine, restarted IIS, turned on to-do list auto refresh. Remove all of the server from the load balancer and adding them back in. Does anyone else have this issue?

Paul

0
paulsiu

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 57
Reply with quote  #2 

Turns out to be a file caching issue:

http://metastorm.processmapping.com.au/post?id=1384120

The problem is that we can't really tell all of the users to clear their cache. I was wondering if anyone else have a workaround?

Paul


0
Jerome

Avatar / Picture

Guru
Registered:
Posts: 5,507
Reply with quote  #3 
What is the load balanced URL?

__________________
Post an example, and we will have a much better idea what the problem is. In about 90% of posts, the problem is one of communication. Examples bridge that gap.
0
paulsiu

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 57
Reply with quote  #4 

Jerome,

Our Metastorm server sits on a BIGIP F5 load balancer that connects to several Metastorm frontends. We notice that when we connect t the main URL, the to-do list often do not update. The list is correct if we go directly to the individual frontend instead of the load balancer.

At first, we thought it was because one of our server was not working and the load balancer redirecting us to the bad server, but the to-do list was correct on all frontends.  We IISreset and reboot all 3 server, remove it from the load balancer and add them back in. Close our browser and relogin. Nothing worked.

We talked with the load balancer's admin and he indicated that the load balancer does not cache any content.

The issue appears to be due to the browser setting. By default, IE is set to check for new content - automatic. What appears to be happening is that when you set the setting to automatic, it will initially check for new content if you change sessions, but the more you use the URL, the less often it checks for new content. Because we use that URL a lot, it was probably not checking if there was new content. When we change the setting to always check for new content or clear our browser cache, the to-do list displayed properly.

The problem is deployment. Now that we know this is the cause of the issue, how can we deploy SR3 and force IE to read the new content? We cannot realistically get everyone to clear their browser cache.

Paul

0
mohnshine

Avatar / Picture

Senior Veteran
Registered:
Posts: 270
Reply with quote  #5 

You can add the following Meta tags to the head of the Default.aspx file in the Metastorm Web folder.  This will minimize the caching that is done for the web page content on the browser. 

<META http-equiv="Pragma" content="No-Cache">
<META http-equiv="Cache-Control" content="No-Cache,Must-Revalidate,No-Store">
<META name="Robots" content="NoIndex,NoFollow">
<META http-equiv="Expires" content="0">
<META name="MSSmartTagsPreventParsing" content="True">


__________________
Your best practice does not conform with my best practice.
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:


Create your own forum with Website Toolbox!